This is the production version of 2910's MK2.5 swerve module. Despite it being one of the most compact and lightweight modules available, the MK2 module does not compromise on robustness. Under typical use, the modules will be able to handle multiple seasons of robotics competition.
The MK2.5 module ships unassembled and is available in three variations:
- Fundamentals kit - does not include all parts that are readily available from McMaster, REV Robotics, AndyMark or VexPro.
- Standard Kit - does not include the motors, encoder, or wheel
- Standard Kit - All Steel Gears - does not include the motors, encoder, or wheel
For a complete list of required parts and parts included with the kits, please review the parts lists. I you are looking to minimize your robot BOM (bill of materials) cost, the fundamentals kit is the most economical solution.
Many gear ratios can be achieved by using different off-the-shelf gears. The table below shows gearing options and unadjusted free speeds with REV Robotics NEO motors. The gears included with the standard kit result in an unadjusted free speed of 11.9 ft/s. We find this ratio to be a good balance between speed, pushing power, and brown out susceptibility. The standard kit uses 14T, 42T, 26T, and 18T gears. The standard kit with all steel gears uses 16T, 40T, 24T, and 20T gears.
REV Robotics NEO motors or Vex Robotics Falcon 500 motors are recommended.
The module easily mounts to common 2”X1” frame material. The module typically mounts on top of the robot chassis, however, there is also clearance for the module to mount below the chassis to maximize ground clearance.
The MK2 module design requires the length of both motor shafts to be reduced by about 0.3in. Alternatively, motor spacers can be used to eliminate the need to cut the motor shafts.
Template java code is available for robots using MK2 modules. This can be found on Swerve Drive Specialties' github. The template code will be updated for the 2020 season and will be configurable for NEOs and Falcon 500s.
- NEOs, Standard Configuration - 4.9 pounds
- NEOs, Steel Gear Configuration - 5.1 pounds
- MK2 Fundamentals Kit Parts List
- MK2 Standard Kit Parts List
- MK2 Standard Kit All Steel Gears Parts List